Friday, January 28, 2005

Space Shuttle Challenger

I distinctly remember watching this live in a high school chemistry class, it was the mission all of the teachers were applying to be a part of. It is also the first significant presidential quotation, of my own time, that I recall.

It was on this day in 1986 that the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded 73 seconds after takeoff, killing all seven astronauts aboard. That evening, President Ronald Reagan eulogized the lost astronauts in one of the finest addresses of his presidency. He said,

"We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and slipped 'the surly bonds of earth' to 'touch the face of God.'"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can remember this day as well--watching it on the TV at Grisham and not believing what we were seeing. Reading the quote gave me goosebumps. BH

Anonymous said...

I was at Grisham, too! It gives me a chill to read that quote! Michael and I frequently run past an elementary school in Dallas named after one of the teachers onboard. love, N