Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Marathon

Denise and I completed our 2nd Houston Marathon Sunday. We weren't last, but we were certainly close to the end; this is a distinct possibility when you train 3 miles per day for a 26 mile race. However, we did complete this course, and Denise is planning for our next run.

I like running because it's a challenge. If you run hard, there's the pain - and you've got to work your way through the pain. You know, lately it seems all you hear is? Don't overdo it' and? Don't push yourself.' Well, I think that's a lot of bull. If you push the human body, it will respond." - Bob Clarke, Philadelphia Flyers general manager, NHL Hall of Fame

Nancy, I know you've also studied about accommodation. This seems to be our strongest philosophy; push the body past its limits, and test the ability to accommodate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree many times on pushing past your pre-conceived limits, within the bounds of safety. I always encouraged my class participants to push harder than they thought they could go. It was amazing how many people did things they didn't think they could do--especially in the anaerobic area. Many people have never even tried to train anaerobically even though it's so important.
Congratulations on finishing the marathon! Job well done!!
love you, N