Thursday, July 08, 2010

Pet Peeve: That's Not My Job

I was reminded of my pet peeve yesterday. After querying colleagues researching the best practice method to fix some software we're working on, one remarked, "I don't do that. My job is moving boxes from this container into that container."

This response, "That's not my job," is the surest path to becoming a boring cog in the wheel. I would prefer not to hear it, or any version of it, from the people I'm working with or hire.

This response is also the easiest to replace with technology. If your job is moving boxes; and you're not interested in figuring out how to move them more efficiently or how to make better boxes, then you can easily be replaced. If you choose to confirm this thought out loud, while sitting quietly in the cubicle next to me, I will double efforts to write the software which replaces that boring job.

Interesting cartoon from "Stuff No One Told Me" which seems to illustrate these ideas. Go learn, make mistakes, and make things better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never did hear that comment much in the school district--there must be more fine print that we just assume either it's in our job description or find out how to do it.. Mom