Friday, January 22, 2010

Blogs: Informal Economy

Check out this blog, stealth of nations. Writer Robert Neuwirth discusses global "informal economies." It is the market of street vendors and other undocumented businesses.

The blog reminds me of a local vendor I call "preacher man" (mostly because he performs thousands of street-side blessings each day). I told the preacher I didn't care to donate to his charity; however, I would be more than happy to purchase his product (candy bars in this case). I suppose this is a small piece of the informal economy at work here in H-Town.

This informal economy of Neuwirth's was also the inspiration behind the 3D printer shanty town in Cory Doctorow's book, Maker's. Cory's implementation suggests that while economic disaster sometimes brings depression, it will also nurture creativity.

No comments: