Monday, April 25, 2005

Zen thoughts

Michael, your quote reminded me of something the Buddhists like to say. There seems to be a conflict between knowledge or scholarship and wisdom. Here are a couple of illustrations:

We are like someone immersed in water, who complains of nothing to drink.

Speech is blasphemy; Silence is deception.
Beyond both is a way up, but my mouth is not wide enough to point to it.

It is nonsense to insist that we cannot achieve enlightenment without learned and pious teachers. Because wisdom is innate, we can all enlighten ourselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark,

A fascinating link. Now here's a quotation I found on here that seems to pertain equally well to Christianity:

"All this Zen stuff is nonsense", said the skeptic.
"You are perfectly correct", responded the master,
"But this is a teaching I normally reserve only
for my most advanced students."

Christ's teachings are pretty nonsensical when considered by the standards of the world--you know, dying to yourself, turning the other cheek, loving your enemy, and other thoughts that seem pretty crazy. As I continue in my walk through life, I am becoming more and more convinced that Christ demands things that don't "make sense" according to the way most of us ordinarily think.

Love, Michael