Monday, October 19, 2009

Weekend: Playing Catch

After a furiously busy beginning to our weekend, we finally got to settle down Sunday to a game of dominoes and some catch. For all the events and schedules we create, I find none of it really beats a spontaneous game of catch.

I'm reading this science fiction book, through RSS subscription, by Cory Doctorow. In this scene, the characters simply play catch.

when it smacked his glove, it felt so right, the sound and the vibration and the fine cloud of dust that rose up from the mitt’s pocket, Christ, it was like a sacrament.
The act of playing seems to illustrate how inappropriate words are sometimes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it will be hard to believe, but my dad and I used to play catch quite often. Of course, when I was growing up he still pitched on a softball team. Mom

BrotherSister said...

You know, I totally agree. The spontaneous and free playing that we do almost always beats out scheduled activities in terms of fun, quality time. Not that both aren't important, it's just that I'm always so thankful when we get a chance to just "be" together, hanging out doing something fun like that.

Neurosurgery tomorrow. Not so much fun, quality time there, but important nonetheless.

Love you!
Nancy