Thursday, October 27, 2005

Philosophy Study

The book I’ve referenced recently by Rudy Rucker, The Lifebox, the Seashell, and the Soul has lead to a fabulous philosophy study.  In the book, Mr. Rucker proclaims to use the Hegelian Dialectic to discuss is proposition that all life is really “universal automatism” (a thought that revolves around the idea that the universe is a set of very complex computations).

To prove this in the Hegelian Dialectic, he uses a basic triad of thesis, antithesis, and synthesis.  

The thesis is the lifebox; a term the author created being like an “intelligent blog”; a collection of sounds, videos, and stories which represent a simulation of you.  The lifebox represents the thesis that even human consciousness is a computation.

Secondly, the antithesis is belief that we all have something that’s not captured by any mechanical model, a soul.  Last is the synthesis, a combination of the first two.  His model is a cone shell seashell.  It serves to bridge the differences between the thesis, and antithesis.

I guess I’ve never paid so much attention to the similarities between mathmatics, computers and philosophy, and may not have the specifics 100% correct; but, it certainly is an interesting investigation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds as if your interest in philosophy grows . . .and now it ties into your current interest. Do you realize that you have had an interest in philosophy for a very long time? BH

Anonymous said...

This all sounds Greek to me! :) I'll have to have Michael look at it when he gets home and explain it all to me. My mind doesn't work quite the same way as all of you philosophers out there.
We're looking forward to seeing you soon and showing off Brian's cute chubby legs! Christian would love a soccer expert to give him some good pointers (he seems to think he is the expert now despite his Dad and I telling him that he's just learning).
love you, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Fascinating idea...I have to admit, though I know OF his ideas, I have never read Hegel--a little intimidated by him, really, but someday I'll work up to him.

The book sounds interesting--would be great to hear more about it next time we talk.

I thought the mid-term was really interesting! I would flunk, but thought it was cool that he used a number of references to Steven (?) Wolfram, a maverick mathematician I've discussed with some math teachers at West Point when I was there.

Much love you y'all,

Michael