Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Dr. King

Today is the anniversary of Dr. King's assassination in Memphis, TN on 4/04/1968. His last speech was titled "I've been to the mountain top".

Two passages from this famous speech seem striking
The Nobel prize winner of 1964, spoke regarding peace, "Men for years now have been talking about war and peace. But now no loner can they just talk about it. It is no longer a choice between violence and nonviolence in this world; it's nonviolence or nonexistence."

Then in the famous last paragraph of his final speech, "...And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over, and I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land. And so I''m happy tonight; I'm not worried about anything; I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

Here is also the wikipedia article which discusses the time line, as well as conspiracy theories.

No comments: